Monday, December 13, 2010

Thumbprint Cookies

Baking Christmas Cookies with my mom was a tradition we did together every Christmas that I can ever remember.  It is definitely one of the traditions I miss the most since we are about 1300 miles apart.  So now I bake my mom's cookies every year for my little family to eat.  It's not the same, but its the closest I get and it brings back many fond memories.

Thumbprint Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (or two sticks) of butter, softened
2 eggs separated
1/8 tsp of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of finely chopped pecans
jar of fruit preserves (I used raspberry, but you could use strawberry or apricot or any kind you like)

Heat over to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, salt, and vanilla.  Beat at a low speed, scrape sides of bowl, mix for another 2-3 minutes.


Shape into 1-inch balls.


Beat eggs whites in a bowl until foamy.

Dip each ball into egg whites and then roll in finely chopped pecans.


Place 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. Make a depression in each ball with your thumb or the back of a spoon.  Bake 8 minutes.


Remove from oven and fill center of each cookies with fruit preserves.


Continue baking for 6-10 minutes until lightly browned.

Remove and cool before biting into these yummy cookies, because the fruit preserves WILL burn the roof of your mouth.. I do it every year ;o)




Enjoy!
- Jess xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...