Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reindeer Cookies

This is a simple and fun thing you can let older kids help you make.  My kids enjoy these and  I make them every year.  I have been making them since my oldest was a baby.  You can use store bought Oreo's or if you are feeling particularly adventurous you can try making your own homemade Oreo's to use.





What You Will Need-
1 pkg Oreo's (or your own)
1 bag min pretzel's
1 bag M&Ms
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (or you can use any type of solid chocolate you can melt)
Wax paper
Metal tongs


Step 1: Melt the Chocolate-
This can be done in several ways.  I prefer to melt mine in a pan over LOW heat, stirring constantly.  I like this because I can control it more.  If you have a double boiler you can use that.  I have heard many people like to melt in the microwave because its faster and they don't have to stand there stirring.  I don't like this because mine always seems to burn and I think it changes the taste of the chocolate.  Plus I am not a big microwave person period.  I use ours for popcorn and thats about it.

Step 2: Dip Oreo's for the "Heads"-
Once chocolate is melted dip Oreo's 1 at a time into the chocolate using metal tongs.  Coat both sides evenly and then place on wax paper to cool.

Step 3: Add eyes, nose and antlers-
I usually dip 3-4 Oreo's and then do the eyes/nose/antlers.  Dip 3-4 more and do eyes/nose/antlers again.  You need to add the eye, nose s and antlers while the chocolate is still soft and warm or they will not stick.
After you have about 3-4 dipped take 2 M&Ms in whatever color you want (green, brown or blue) and add near the top of the cookie to make 2 "eyes".  Using a red M&M add below the eyes to make a "nose".
Take 2 pretzel's and gently smush them into the top of the Oreo's.  Be careful not to break them.  I like to dip a spoon into the chocolate and drizzle a little extra chocolate on top to secure them.

Allow cookies to cool at least 10 minutes before removing from wax paper.  I like to just put them in the fridge overnight.
I let Teddy help with the ones pictured above.  He helped add the eyes,  nose and antlers.  I even let him hold the spoon to drizzle chocolate onto the antlers to secure them.  Can you tell which ones he made?   I like to make mine with brown eyes, he insisted they needed green.  We did some with blue too.  This picture is from last year so he was 3 at the time.  This is a fun Christmas activity to let little hands help with.


Love,
Christy


P.S. In our house Santa enjoys these on Christmas Eve along with frosted sugar and gingerbread cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...