Saturday, October 30, 2010

Biscuits

Its early on a Saturday morning, I should probably be cleaning but I decided to blog instead.  I thought I would share this recipe as it is a great one to use on such a morning as this.  Although 9 times out of 10 my family enjoys Biscuits and Gravy as a "Breakfast for Dinner" type of meal.

Once you try these biscuits you will never again spend the outrageous prices for those canned and refrigerated ones.  This is one recipe that is truly MINE too.  Most recipes I have I have messed around with and tweaked some to suit our families tastes and preferences but most are similar to the originals.  This recipe is a combo of at least 4 different recipes I previously tried out and is 1 and a half times bigger than those.  Doubling the recipes made too much for our family, using the called for amounts was never enough.


What You Will Need:
3 cups Flour
4 teasp baking powder
3 teasp sugar
1 teasp salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Step 1: Make the Dough-
In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Cut in shortening using a pastry cutter, 2 knives or a fork-Honestly I do not have a pastry cutter and the knives/fork are too tedious for me so I just use my hands for this step.  I am a very "hands on" cook.  Its easiest to just use my hands.  Dough will resemble coarse crumbs when this step is done correctly.
Add milk and stir to mix.  Do not over mix, dough will be slightly loose still.

Step 2: Form the Biscuits-
Dump dough out onto lightly floured surface.
With you hands gently knead and press dough until it forms into a ball.  Do not over work the dough as this will make the biscuits tough and hard.  You want them to be light and flaky.
Lightly flour rolling pin and roll out dough into a circle about 1/2"-3/4" thick.
Using a biscuit cutter cut out biscuits-I don't have one of these either, I find a sippy cup makes the perfect size biscuit.
Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
Gather up regaining dough, form into a ball, roll out and cut again.  Repeat this until all the dough has been used.

Step 3: Bake the Biscuits-
Once biscuits have been cut out and placed on the pan bake them in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until tops appear golden brown.  I usually bake ours for 10 minutes exactly, your oven may need more or less time.
Enjoy with regular or sausage gravy or as is.


I like to take the leftover biscuits, when we have leftovers that is, and heat them up in the microwave for maybe 5-10 seconds with butter and honey on top.  So good!  They are also great with jelly and I have made them before to use with bacon and egg mini sandwiches.
























Love,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...