- powdered sugar
- Combine water, 1 T. sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5-15 minutes to activate.
- Mix 1/2 c. sugar, melted butter, eggs, and salt. Add yeast mixture.
- Stir in warm milk.
- Add 5 cups flour, 1-2 cups at a time.
- Knead dough on a well-floured surface, adding flour as necessary, until dough isn’t sticky.
- Let rise until double in a clean, oiled bowl.
- Punch down risen dough. Separate into two pieces.
- Roll out dough in a large rectangle. Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll dough. Cut into about 12 (1-inch) rolls. Place in 9×13 pan. Let rise until double.
- Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes.
For icing, melt butter (about 2 T.). Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 T. milk. Sift powdered sugar into mixture and stir well. I never measure this. You can absolutely use more of any ingredient. Spread icing while hot.
They were good! They were my first try and I think I have some room for improvement. I think I needed to let the dough rise longer, but I am a but impatient.. just ask my poor husband :o)