When meat is just cooked through add half of a small onion and let cook a few minutes. Adding the onion now keeps it slightly crunchy.
Rinse and drain 1- 15oz can of black beans. Add to meat.
Drain 1 can of rotel tomatoes. Add to meat.
Heat til mixture is hot through out.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (makes clean up easy). Roll out 1 package of crescent roll onto baking sheet. Mend the perforations.
3. Cut crescent sheet on both sides 1inch apart. A pizza cutter works well
4. Put cooked meat mixture in center of cut crescent sheet
5. Put 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese on top of meat mixture
6. Fold crescent strips over meat mixture and press the strips together to seal the braid.
7. Bake in 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
8. Let sit for 5-10minutes to allow the Taco Braid to set.
Serve and enjoy.
Thank you so much Christy K. for sharing this yummy and easy recipe with us!
I must say that I made this last night for dinner and it was so good! I made it using the dough recipe that I use for everything and I added a "sauce" at the bottom made by mixing 1/2 cup salsa (pureed in the food processor) and 1/2 can of vegetarian refried beans. I layered this on the bottom then added the meat on top and braided the bread closed. I didn't have any black beans so I skipped that part and I honestly forgot to add the cheese inside haha. It was super yummy and a big hit in our home. Kinda like a taco pizza calzone. We topped it with our usual taco topping favorites including salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese and avocados.