My mom makes INCREDIBLE Homemade Mac and Cheese. Whenever I get the chance to eat some food cooked by her, which is not often enough anymore, living 1300 miles from her, I request her Mac and Cheese. Her's is a bit different then what I throw together with the quickness on a work/school night. My friend, Christy, posted her recipe that her family enjoys (check that out right here if you haven't!), and maybe you have one you make that is different then both of ours (email it to us with pictures and a contact email or blog and maybe we will feature you as a guest blogger! Cookinmamas@yahoo.com .)
Here is the recipe for my quick weeknight, no stovetop baked mac and cheese. Its nothing special.
- 1 box or 1 lbs.of any style pasta.
- 1 block or 1 lbs. of extra sharp cheddar, shredded.
- 4-6 slices of Velveeta cheese.
- 1/4 c. milk or half and half
- Preheat over to 450 degrees
- Cook pasta according to package directions, removing when its al dente because it will cook longer in the over. (Remember to salt your pasta water!)
- Shred cheddar.
- Butter the sides and bottom of your casserole dish.
- Drain cooked pasta.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of the cheddar on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Top with 1/2 of the cheddar
- Add about 1/2 of the pasta top with 2-3 pieces of velveeta (use the slices not the block)
- Repeat pasta, cheddar, velveeta.
- Go crazy and top with breadcrumbs of crushed chips or crackers if you'd like
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 400 and bake another 15 mins til its browned and bubbly.